If you think you may have Coronavirus, there are some simple steps you need to take:
- For most people, you will simply feel unwell and you won’t necessarily need medical treatment
- The symptoms are a cough and a high temperature
- DO NOT go to hospital or your GP. If you think you may have coronavirus, contact the NHS 111 service online
Use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service if:
- you feel you cannot cope with your symptoms at home
- your condition gets worse
- your symptoms do not get better after 7 days
Only call NHS 111 if you cannot get the help you need online.
Should I self isolate?
Anyone with symptoms should stay at home for at least 7 days.
If you live with other people, they should stay at home for at least 14 days, to avoid spreading the infection outside the home.
After 14 days, anyone you live with who does not have symptoms can return to their normal routine.
But, if anyone in your home gets symptoms, they should stay at home for 7 days from the day their symptoms start. Even if it means they're at home for longer than 14 days.
There is a lot of advice and support online to guide you about self isolating. Here are the headlines:
- stay at home
- do not go to work, school or public places
- do not use public transport or taxis
- ask friends, family members or delivery services to do errands for you
- avoid visitors to your home – it's OK for friends, family or delivery drivers to drop off food and leave it outside your house
How can I avoid catching or spreading germs?
There are things you can do to help stop viruses like coronavirus spreading.
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately
- wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
There is uptodate information and guidance on the NHS website here
Other places for information: